Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Why do people write memoirs? What power is there in telling our own stories?

Black Boy was a wonderful memoir written by Richard Wright. Through his writing we are able to get a true sense of his inner feelings and can, in some way, relate to his struggles. I think the main reason memoirs are written is so that the author can share their personal stuggles with the readers. It shows the authors true courage because they are revealing important maybe even difficult situations that occured in their past.
Memoirs are powerful pieces of work. Firstly, it is beneficial to the author; it gives them a way to "vent" and commemerate their past. They are able to go back and analyze their actions and rethink the things they did or what they should have done. Not only are memoirs valuable to the author, its useful for the audience who read the novel. Memoirs are very vivid and "real" because they are written by a really accurate source. The readers are able to relate to the actual situations and if they are struggling with the same thing, they can relate to the feelings of the author.

6 comments:

Sarah K. said...

Hi Madeline!!

I like your thoughts... You're right about the reflection that comes with righting memoirs. Often authors can think about what happened in the past and try to change it.

JUSTkeepSWIMMIN24 said...

I strongly agree that many people write memoirs to "vent" about their problems and struggles. I really wanted to do this for class, but my story was about swimming and I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings if they heard about it. haha.

cheruvian said...

I agree completely with you. All people want to tell their own story and feelings. By being brave and courageous, they are contributing to the world.

Kelley D. said...

Hey!! I really liked this. I agree with you that the author mainly writes a memoir to share his feelings with others. I also think that this shows their courage. Nice work!

Anne Erickson said...

Madeline, your post was really good. I loved it when you explained how a memoir can both be beneficial to the reader and the author. In the sense that the reader learns life lessons, and the author has a chance to "vent." Interesting post!

kelseyk said...

Madeline-
You had really good and original ideas. I strongly agree with you on your main points. Yours was interesting and enjoyable to read! Good job!