Monday, November 5, 2007

Quarter 1 Debrief

So far, I believe English has gone exceptionally well. At first is was difficult to get used to all the new changes that occur in high school but as the year progressed, I began to feel more comfortable. The main thing I've learned this quarter is that everything doesn't always have to be one hundred percent correct. Developing great writing skills takes time and you won't learn anything unless you make mistakes and learn from them. One thing I've definitely improved on this quarter is my analytical skills and although they aren't perfect, they are getting better. But one thing I need to work on is being more precise in my writing and become better at editing my own papers. Also, I feel like I need to participate in class more and share my thoughts in disscussions.

In the beginning of the year, many of us didn't know each other and we were very hesitant to share our ideas. Now that we have spent three months together, we feel a lot more comfortable. We're able to edit each others papers and give meaningful feedback. We are also able to have intelligent disscussions as a class and really dig deep into the meaning of literature we are studying. For second quarter and the remainder of the year, we all just need to remember that everything can't always be perfect but, if we try our hardest and help each other improve, we will have a very successful year.

8 comments:

Natalie said...

"For second quarter and the remainder of the year, we all just need to remember that everything can't always be perfect but, if we try our hardest and help each other improve, we will have a very successful year."

Ah, I love how you worded that. Very nice. I totally agree. We'll all work to improve with the help of classmates even though we can't always be perfect. I agree. Good statement.

Steph said...

I love how you wrote about the idea that we can't learn how to do things right until we make some mistakes. It's so true in school, in sports and in the rest of life. We've all definently had some failures and victories this quarter, and through them all we've learned how to be better. Nice Idea!

JUSTkeepSWIMMIN24 said...

I agree that at first everyone was kind of hesitant in class because we didn't know each other that well. I'm glad we're all best friends now (haha jk) so we can have in-depth discussions. But you and I are basically sisters now that we picked the same event for the ethics paper without talking to each other about it. HAHA :)

Lauren C said...

AHH! I know, the first few days were a wee bit overwhelming especially since I knew nothing about thesis statements! I hope we have a successful year too!

Anne Erickson said...

I agree with what you said about how now that we've spent three months together that we feel more comfortable sharing our ideas. I also believe that my analyzing skills have improved, but aren't perfect. I think that we are going to have a great second quarter!

kelseyk said...

I totally agree with all that everyone else has said. You worded your whole paragraph very well, and it was interesting and enjoyable to read. I also loved your point about how we have to make mistakes to succeed. Great job!

Ms. Froehlich said...

I hope that by the end of the year you will know that all your hard work was worth it! I agree that you should set as one of your goals to participate more during class discussions. Your writing shows that you have strong ideas, so share them with the world!

edinacaitlin said...

Hey Madeline!
Goshhh I miss my phsyics buddy!! This year is so different with participation! Teacher really grade heavily on it, and sometimes I don't like to share my opinion, if I think it will complicate things. But I think that participating is worth it because in most of my classes its a hefty part of my grade!!!