Sunday, December 23, 2007

Much Ado About Nothing-Lying

In my opinion, lying is never the right thing to do. But, this isn't a perfect world and lies are always told. If you tell a lie to help someone or to benefit them in someway, I believe it is acceptable. But, if you lie just to make someone angry or because you think it is a fun joke, then it is unethical. In Much Ado About Nothing many lies are told. Some are told to help certain people. One example of this is when Don Pedro plans to lie to Hero so he can make her fall in love with Claudio. He tells Claudio, "I will assume thy part in some disguise/ And tell fair Hero I am Claudio,/ And in her bosom I'll umclasp my heart/ And take her hearing prisoner with force/ And strong encounter of my amorous tale"(I.1.259-263). Don Pedro is going to lie to Hero just so he can gain her love for Claudio but, he will eventually tell her the truth. But, there are lies that are told in this play that are unethical. One example of this is when Claudio, Leonato and Don Pedro are walking in the garden outside and see Benedick hiding behind some bushes. They decide to poke fun at him and pretend Beatrice (Benedick's enemy) is in love with him as Don Pedro states, "What was it you told me of today,/ that your niece Beatrice was in love with Signor Benedick?" (II.2.85-86). They are telling this lie for their own pleasure. It doesn't benefit anyone in a positive way.

Lies should be told only if they are told to benefit someone in a positive way and the truth is told later, just as Don Pedro did with Hero. I know, from past experience, that is you tell a lie and never come clean about, the truth will always be revealed. My friend and I decided to hang out but, didn't invite my other friend. We thought she would never find out but, unfortunately, she did. After seeing how much this hurt our friend, we regretted it immensely and learned from our mistakes. You should never tell lies to hide the truth, it is immoral and things may happen you would never expect.

4 comments:

Steph said...

I love how you used the example of the Prince wooing Hero for Claudio! I hadn't even thought of it... but it is so true. Lying is sometimes justified. Lies in defense of true love, powerful and good ideas, and human life are not wrong. Lies like the ones spun by Don John however are unethical and must be justified.

lisa h. said...

I agree with you that liying in general is unethical. Yet with good intentions, like Don Pedro had when wooing Hero for Claudio, it is ok. I also really liked you real life example because i can relate to it and I am sure almost everyone can. I used the example of lieing to Benedick as an ok lie because they are trying to make them happy, but now that I read your blog, I see that they could have easily have just been poking fun at him. Nice post, very influential!

Kelley D. said...

i also agree with your thoughts. lying happens and its either justified or not. To help someone, not hurt, in my opinion is a justified lie. But doing for your own good and hurting others is seen as injust. Nice work!

Sarah K. said...

You bring up really good ideas. If lies are for good and can be justified, then they're okay. But, when they are intended to hurt people, they should not be told.